Monday, February 15, 2010

Some Enchanted Evening

This is my dear friend, Kristen who was my closest childhood friend. Since we were 5, we had playdates weekly--most of which were spent playing with dolls or playing dress-up. Another one of our favorite things to do was watch and dance (in our dress-up clothes of course!) to musicals (particularly Roger's and Hammerstein's). We really didn't understand why we didn't still get to wear the cool hoop skirts like they do in the King and I.
For my birthday, Kristen treated me to a very special evening. It took a month for us to find a night that worked for both of us--but hey! I will find any excuse to continue the birthday celebrations (even into February!). So we got dressed up, she cleaned out her car, and we drove up to Seattle for dinner and then...
...SHE TOOK ME TO SEE SOUTH PACIFIC AT THE 5th AVE THEATER!
My ticket :-)
The following photos are courtesy of the internet since I wasn't allowed to photograph the show. These are better than my camera would've done though, anyway.

Here is the inside of the 5th Ave Theater. It first opened in 1926 and the architecture itself provides a surreal atmosphere before and after the show.
I love going to musicals--I sit there and smile through the whole thing. Where else do 20 guys break out into a choreographed dance and song right before your eyes?
Lt. Cable was played by Anderson Davis who had an amazing tenor voice. Before South Pacific, he played in Les Miserables on Broadway. I knew he was singing to me, but Kristen would tell you otherwise.
"There is nothing like a dame!"
Bloody Mary was the comic relief through the serious moments. Somewhat creepy, but just made you laugh...
The best shower song ever: "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair."
It really was "Some Enchanted Evening!"
Thanks, Kristen, for spoiling me with a wonderful evening! It was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment