Our first stop on our trip was less than two hours outside of Frankfurt in the city of Worms. Like a good little Reformed girl, I was most interested in seeing the Reformation cites of this important city where Martin Luther was called to the Diet of Worms. There is a large monument in the town which depicts the scene of Luther standing for the Word of God against the Pope and it commemorates his famous words: "Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht andere. Gott helfe mir. Amen." Which in English means: "Here I stand, I can do no other. God help me. Amen."
We also went into the Cathedral of Worms which was very old and perhaps of most interest was the crypt which held the bodies of several German kings and other royalty from as early as 955 AD.
Before we left, I insisted that we buy some Worms (of the gummy variety) so that we could enjoy our own Diet of Worms!
No comments:
Post a Comment